Friday, September 4, 2009

Things that make me Happy


So, Sammi and I have spent the last 3 days or so yelling at each other over how the artwork for my new EP is going to look.  It's a good fight, cuz the end product is exciting.  It's been a very long time since I've released anything under the Dr. Noise moniker.  The original CD was in 2006 and I used the funds I made from it to move to Las Vegas so I could join a band here that ultimately fell apart leading me right back to doing things on my own.  Funny how things work, isn't it?
So now, the excitement is back of releasing a CD completely made up of music I created from start to finish.  And this time, I'm doing it with the help of some outrageously awesome people.  Alan has easily become a new best friend of mine, within the YouTube world or outside of it.  You can't ask for better people.
In the music world, you get used to being around scum and worthless people.  When you're not one yourself, it's important to grasp onto and hold those who give a genuine crap.  The real music scenes I've been around are the reason i decided to turn to YouTube when I had the chance and while I have the amazing help of Alan, The Vlogbrothers, Alex Day, etc.
In the real world of music as an unsigned artist it's very difficult.  Some of the best bands in the world never get signed or see the light of tour because they don't have the right friends or other various reasons.  To me, the fact that talent can so easily be overlooked this day and age, that's a real sad state of affairs.

The YouTube world on the other hand... is amazing.  Whether you've got 10 fans or 10 thousand... they're watching you because they want to.  Not because they know they look cool at your show but don't give a shit about your music or even you.  YouTube friends/fans/followers are genuine people who genuinely like what you do...and immediately can tell you what they thought of it.  Good, bad, or neutral.  And not only that, you can potentially be seen by anyone all over the world at any time of the day.

I've got so many new friends and fans thanks to YouTube.  I say at the end of every one of my BlogTV shows that I'm always so eternally thankful for everyone apart of the community and I don't know that I could ever express just how much I really mean that.

Being the community that we are I hope you all will now and will forever always promote.  Not just me, not just Alan, not just Hank, not just Alex...but anyone.  Anyone who ever makes something special.  Anyone who makes something that makes you smile, laugh, cry, feel anything.  Because while the YouTube world is years above that of the real world (at least in music) there's now a huge amount of people who don't get seen in this world either....who in my opinion deserve to be seen.
The people you love to watch and create can only be as big as you make them.  It always has been and always will be in the hands of those who watch.  I hope that we all continue to treat each other with the love and care we currently do.
Thank you all so much for making my life a better one.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome post Bill, and you're 100% right, it's up to all of us, me, you, and everyone reading this, to share the songs and artists we find and enjoy. Keep rocking. And cheers to a new friendship. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Bill! And - as I've already said - I'm so, so happy for you =)

    *picks up the leftover roses at his feet and lobs them towards Bill*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear hear! Also, stop speaking my thoughts before I think them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, you rock seriously, and you pretty much covered anything I could've said. While yes, I have no musical talent, I love being able to actively support my new friends who do have that kind of talent.

    Getting involved at your BlogTV shows got me more involved in the community, and heck, now I'm doing my own BlogTV shows and vlogs.

    Youtube is something a lot of people don't understand, sadly. For those of us that do get it, and are a part of it, it's a special part of our lives.

    Keep drocking Bill, and you'll always see me at your shows. :)

    -Kailyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing post. So true, and so heart-felt. Both this community as a whole and its individual members constantly amaze me with their endless ways of being awesome.

    And you make our lives better too, you know, Bill. In all sorts of ways. Don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on, Bill! It's been about a year now since I posted my first vid on YouTube and it has been an amazing year. Largely thanks to the Nerdfighter community, who are indeed truly made of Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit difficult to work with when it comes to artwork...I know. I don't think I will completely be satisfied with it unless I were to do it myself.

    And I would agree the youtube crowd is a better fit for you than the fake jackasses of the Vegas music scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you seem to have experience with some of the assholes of the music industry. Its interesting whenever you talk about stuff like that because you've been there before and lots of people havnt.

    ReplyDelete